Kaju katli is a festival delicacy made from cashew nuts in a short time.
Requirements for around 25 pieces:
- Cashew nuts - 1 cup (universal measure)
- Sugar - (a little less than) 1/2 cup
- Ghee - 2 teaspoon
- Saffron (optional) - a few strands
- Water - 1/3 cup.
- Dry roast the cashews for just under a minute to remove any moisture.
- Dry grind the cashews in a slow speed.
- Using a non-stick pan, add 1/3 cup of water.
- Add the sugar and gently stir.
- After 5 minutes or so the water will thicken and become syrupy.
- Touch a drop of the syrup with your hand. It should be sticky and form a thread between your fingers.
- Add the ground cashew powder and stir thoroughly.
- Add the saffron strands.(optional)
- Keep stirring for 5 more minutes in a low heat.
- Add a spoon of ghee and mix for another 2 minutes.
- Grease a wooden cutting board or a cake tray with ghee.
- Transfer the dough and gently knead.
- Transfer this to a thin stainless steel plate or a cookie tray.
- Cover with a butter paper and use a rolling pin or simply use a flat bottomed vessel greased with ghee to flatten the dough to a desired thickness.
- Cut into small pieces.