Milagu Jeera rasam
A very healthy and very easy to make rasam suitable during cold weather and for people suffering from cold, flu, loss of appetite or for people convalescing from flu or fever. Especially good for new mothers as a pathiyam (diet).
Ingredients for 2 adults
- Jeera 1 tablespoon
- Black pepper 1 tablespoon
- Tamarind -lemon size or Tamarind paste 3/4 to 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds a few for tempering
- Curry leaves - a few
- Coriander leaves - a few
- Tomato pieces - from 1 tomato (optional)
- Oil or ghee - one teaspoon for seasoning
- Salt to taste
- Dissolve the tamarind in 2 cups of water and keep it aside. ( if you are using raw tamarind, dissolve using warm water, mash it with your fingers and filter to remove the debris and fibres)
- Dry grind the pepper and Jeera
- In a kadai add one spoon of ghee.
- Add the crushed pepper and jeera and saute.
- Add curry leaves and the cut tomato pieces. Add salt.
- Pour the tamarind water.
- Let it simmer till the raw smell goes.
- Add a few coriander leaves and remove from heat.
This is best consumed hot accompanied by dry roasted appalams / papads.