Tamarind Rice - புளி சாதம்
Instead of mixing the ready made Tamarind Rice Paste sold in the stores, try making this from the scratch. This is more healthier and guaranteed to taste better.
Ingredients for 4 adults
- Rice 2 cups - ( no basmati rice)
- Tamarind - a big lemon size
- Methi seeds (Fenugreek) - 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida - a small piece ( or 1/2 teaspoon powder)
- Chana dal - 1 table spoon
- Peanuts - 1/4 cup
- Gingelly Oil - 1/2 cup
- Soak the tamarind in a cup of hot water for about 5 minutes and extract the pulp removing the debris and the fibre by using a strainer. Mix with another 1/2 cup of water and keep aside. (If you have tamarind paste, mix two teaspoons in 2 cups of water.)
- Soak the peanuts and the chana dal and keep aside.
- Dry roast the methi (fenugreek) seeds and grind it along with the asafoetida and keep aside.
- Break the dried chillies into small pieces.
- Heat a spoon of the oil in a large pan / kadai and add mustard seeds,the red chillies. When they splutter, add rest of the oil,the drained peanuts and chana dal and saute till they become dry. Add the turmeric powder and pour the tamarind extract. Add salt, the ground methi and asafoetida. Add the curry leaves. Keep stirring. Let the tamarind extract boil in a simmered heat.Keep stirring occasionally. This should be cooking on the stove till it turns out to be thick paste like consistency.
- While this is getting ready, cook the rice.
- In a deep vessel or a big plate, pour the cooked rice.
- Add the now ready 'puli kaichal' and mix it with the rice thoroughly till all the white rice are completely covered.
- Add a spoon of oil if needed.
- Use your fingers to mix the rice thoroughly if required.
Serve with papads or chips. Potato kari will also go nice with the tamarind rice.