Ingredients: ( for four )
- Toor dal 1 cup (international standard)
- Chana dal ( kadalai paruppu) 1/2 cup
- Onions 1 or 2
- Saunf (Sombu) 1 teaspoon
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- Dry red chillies - 4 to 5
- Green chillies (yes both) - 2 to 3
- Ginger - a small piece
- A few curry leaves
- Salt - 2 teaspoon or to taste
- Oil for deep frying
Note: If you are confused with the cup,the measure is 2 measures :1 measure,whether you use cup,tumbler or any other measure.
- Soak the toor dal and the chana dal and the red chillies for 30 minutes. Strain the water.
- Add the ginger piece and grind the dal. Do not add excess water. Grind sprinkling water.
- Make sure it is NOT ground to a fine paste. It should be a little coarse.
- Cut the onions,curry leaves and the green chillies into small pieces and add hing powder to the dough. Mix thoroughly after adding salt and saunf.
- Pour oil in a deep frying pan.
- Once the oil is hot, take a small ball of dough and shape it flat using a smooth plastic sheet or the palm of your hand. Gently drop the shaped dough into the oil. Repeat this as much as the pan can hold the vadas for deep frying.
- Once the vadas turn golden brown, carefully remove using a straining ladle ( 'kan karandi' in Tamil).
- Place them in a bowl ( you can line it with tissue paper to absorb the excess oil) and serve hot.
This goes well with coconut chutney or just plain hot.
Watch the video:
Post a Comment