Kunukku is a variant of our popular adai but this is deep fried with a little modifications in the composition of ingredients. This is a very light snack good for munching these hot during cold winters and rainy seasons.
- Boiled rice - 1 cup
- Toor dal , Channa dal,Urad dal - 1/2 cup
- Dry red chillies 7-8
- Curry leaves - a few, finely cut
- Coriander leaves - a few
- Hing a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Soak the rice seperately.
- Soak all the dals , red chillies together for two hours.
- Drain water from the soaked grains.
- Grind these along with the chillies,coconut, hing and salt.
- Do not add excess water. Just sprinkle if necessary.
- Grind to a coarse consistency.
- Add the curry leaves and the coriander leaves.
- In a pan heat oil and drop the batter in little balls by picking with your fingers. ( do not try to flatten them as you do for vadas)
- Keep turning till they are crisp and golden brown.
Note: you can also add finely chopped onions while mixing the batter.
Serve hot with coconut chutney /coriander chutney or tomato sauce.