Arisi Upma- Rice Upma
- Raw rice - 1 cup
- Water - 2 and 1/2 cups
- Toor dal - 2 table spoons
- Jeera - 2 teaspoon
- Grated coconut 1/2 cup
- Urad dal 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
- Dry red chillies - 4 or 5
- Hing - a pinch
- Oil - 2 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Curry leaves - a few
- Grind the rice to a coarse ( rava or baech sand like) consistency. Keep aside.
- Grind the toor dal, red chillies, jeera and keep aside.
- In a non stick skillet or any Kadai, pour the oil. Add mustard seeds, urad dal. After the mustard splutters, add water, salt and hing.
- Add the ground toor dal mix( step 2 of above).
- Add the ground rice.Add the curry leaves.
- The rice will start to absorb the water and will start to thicken in 5 minutes. Add the grated coconut.
- Pour this half cooked in a cooker container and pressure cook for 15 minutes.
- After the cooker cools down, mix the now cooked uppuma from top to bottom. ( this will distribute the mustard seeds, urad dal that might have settled in the bottom)
- Serve hot with chutney or sambhar. 'Kotsu' or 'masiyal' tastes better.