- Wheat flour 2 cups
- Rice flour 2 tea spoons
- Grated Jaggery 1 to 1 1/2 cups
- Coconut - grated or minute slices - 1/2 cup
- Cardamon powder 1 teaspoon
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- A small piece of ripe banana ( optional)
- Dissolve the jaggery in a cup of water and strain it to remove any debris.
- Add the flours and other ingredients and mix thoroughly to a smooth semi thick batter.
- Heat the oil in a tava and using a small ladle or a table spoon, gently drop the batter into the hot oil. Keep dropping the batter till there is no more room in the oil. Keep turning the appam in the oil till it becomes golden brown. Remove and put it in a pan laced with paper towel to absorb the excess oil.