This is a very tasty pickle that can be made and consumed within a short time. This goes well with curd rice, dosa, upuma etc.
- Fresh tender green chillies 10 - 12
- Fresh Ginger around 100 gms
- Tamarind - lemon sized or two teaspoons of tamarind paste
- Fenugreek - ('Vendhiyam or methi seeds) 1 teaspoon
- Mustard - 1 teaspoon
- Gingelly oil - 3 teaspoons
- Clean, peel the ginger and cut it into very small pieces and keep it aside.
- Slit the chillies and cut into small ribbons . ( seeds need not be fully removed)
- Dissolve the tamarind ( or tamarind paste ) in a cup of water
- Dry roast the fenugreek ( methi seeds) and the hing and powder them. If you have hing powder, powder the methi seeds alone. Set this aside.
- Add 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan and saute the ginger, chillies along with a pinch of turmeric powder for about two minutes and remove from the pan and keep it aside.
- Pour a teaspoon of oil and add mustards and saute till the mustard splutters.
- Pour the tamarind water and a teaspoon of salt.
- Once the tamarind water starts to boil and starts to thicken add the ginger and chillies. Add the powdered fenugreek ( methi seeds) and the hing.
- Boil for a few more minutes till it thickens some more.
- Remove from the stove .
- This will keep for a week without refrigeration.