- Urad dal 300 gms ( 1 and 1/2 measure in standard glass tumbler)
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- A few curry leaves
- Salt - 2 tsp
- Oil for deep frying
- Soak the urad dal for 30 minutes. Strain the water for 10 to 15 minutes and grind .
- Keep sprinkling water till the dough becomes a smooth paste.
- Cut the curry leaves into small pieces and add hing powder to the dough.
- Pour oil in a deep frying pan.
- Once the oil is hot, take a small ball of dough and shape it flat using a banana leaf or a smooth plastic sheet. Make a small hole in the center with your index finger, gently slide the shaped dough into the oil. Repeat this as much as the pan hold the vadas for deep frying.
- Once the vadas turn golden brown, carefully remove using a straining ladle ( 'kan karandi' in Tamil)
- Place them in a bowl ( you can line it with tissue paper to absorb the excess oil) and serve hot.
This goes well with coconut chutney or hot sambhar.
Post a Comment