Poondu ( Garlic) Kuzhambu
- Peeled garlic cloves - 1/2 cup
- Small onions - peeled - 1/2 cup (or) Large onions - 2
- Tomato 1
- Brinjal (optional ) 1 or 2
- Black Pepper 1 teaspoon
- Coriander seeds 1/4 cup or 1 Tablespoon
- Dry red chillies - 4 to 5
- Tamarind - lime sized or tamarind paste - 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves ( if available) a few
- Oil - 2 to 3 teaspoons.
- Sambhar powder - 1/2 teaspoon ( optional)
- Salt to taste
- Cut onion into small pieces.
- Cut the brinjal into vertical slices.
- Cut each peeled garlic into half.
- Grind the coriander seeds, red chillies, black pepper along with the tomato slightly sprinkling water. Keep this aside.
- Soak tamarind in 2 cups of hot water for about 5 minutes and extract the pulp. Mix with another 1 cup of water and keep aside.(If you have tamarind paste, mix one teaspoon in 2 cups of water.)
1. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large pan / kadai and add mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the garlic pieces,cut onions, brinjal and curry leaves. Saute till the onion turns golden brown.Add the rest of the oil and saute for a minute. (optional - Add 1/2 teaspoon of sambhar powder and sauté further.)
2. Pour in the diluted tamarind extract and bring to boil. Add the ground coriander- pepper paste.Add salt and simmer covered for about 20-30 minutes depending on the consistency you want.
Tastes heavenly with a spoon of gingelly oil (or ghee) accompanied by potato kara kari (roast)