Eriseri is a delicacy of the Kerala state. No festival of theirs is complete without Eriseri.
Ingredients (for two):
- Raw Banana -1 (Raw Nendran banana will be authentic)
- Yam (Senai) - a large piece (250 gms)
- Grated coconut - 1 cup
- Black peppers - 1 teaspoon
- Raw rice - 1 teaspoon
- Coconut oil - 3 teaspoons.
- Mustards - 1 tea spoon
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves - a few
- Salt - 1 and 1/2 teaspoons or to taste.
Pre - Preparation:
- Peel and cut the raw banana and the yam into small even pieces (not very small)
- In a boiling water blanch the Yam until it is soft.
- Using a spoon of water,grind the peppercorns.
- Grind using 1/2 cup of the grated coconut and the raw rice.
- Using a spoon of coconut oil, saute the other 1/2 of the grated coconut and keep aside.
- Using a wide mouthed vessel or a kadai, heat two cups of water adding the turmeric powder.
- Put in the cut banana pieces and the blanched yam pieces in the now boiling water.
- Add salt.
- Add the ground pepper paste.
- After 10 minutes or so ,once the raw smell of pepper disappears, add the sauteed coconut and the coconut rice paste.
- Add a teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Let it cook for 10 more minutes.
- Garnish with curry leaves and mustard seeds tempered with a spoon of coconut oil.
Good as a side dish and goes good with rice.