Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambu - பருப்பு உருண்டை குழம்பு
Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambu is a simple to make delicacy or a holiday special. This is similar to kofta with gravy.
Ingredients for 4
- Toor dal - 3 cup
- Red chillies - 7 nos ( or as per taste)
- Onion - finely chopped - 1 cup
- Rice flour - 3 teaspoon
- Tamarind ( lemon size or if paste, 1/2 teaspoon)
- Gingelly oil (sesame oil) - 1 teaspoon for seasoning
- Green coriander - a small bunch chopped
- Curry leaves - a few chopped
- Mustard - a teaspoon for seasoning
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Salt - to taste
- Soak the toor dal along with the red chillies for at least 3 hours and drain.
- Using a blender or mixie grind the above a little coarsely.
- Dissolve the tamarind ( remove the dirt and the fiber if it is raw tamarind by dissolving and filtering) in four cups of water and keep aside.
- In a big deep pan or a tava add a spoon of oil and put some of the mustard seeds.After the mustard seeds splutters add the onion and saute till the onions turn golden brown.
- Now add the ground toor dal in the tava and mix it thoroughly along with the onion.
- Remove it from the fire.
- Add the finely chopped curry leaves. Add the rice flour to the mix and carefully make it into small lemon sized balls. ( the rice flour is the binding agent)
- Keep it aside.
- In a deep cooking pan, pour the rest of the oil. Add 2 teaspoons of sambhar powder. Saute it for a few seconds
- Pour the dissolved tamarind.
- Add the prepared 'urundais' (balls) one by one.
- Cook in a low flame.
- Without breaking the balls, keep stirring the mix gently.
- In about twenty minutes, the balls would have started to absorb the kuzambu (gravy).
- ( you can take one ball and test if has been cooked)
- Garnish with the freshly chopped coriander leaves and remove from the fire.
- The gravy, along with the balls can be enjoyed hot with rice.