- Tamarind - lime sized ( Tamarind paste 1 teaspoon)
- Pepper - 3 teaspoons
- Coriander seeds 3 teaspoons
- Toor dal 1 and 1/2 teaspoons
- Oil - 4 to 6 tsp (Tastes best with sesame oil aka gingelly oil)
- Mustard - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - a handful
- Asafoetida ( பெருங்காயம்) – a pinch
- Fry coriander seeds, pepper and toor dal in two teaspoons of oil. Grind them along with curry leaves in your mixie or blender.
- Soak tamarind in 2 cups of hot water for about 5 minutes and extract the pulp. Mix with another 2 cups of water and keep aside (If you have tamarind paste, mix one teaspoon in 2 cups of water.)
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large pan / kadai and add mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the ground paste
- Pour in the diluted tamarind extract add the hing and bring to boil. Add salt and simmer covered for about 20-30 minutes depending on the consistency you want.
- You can add more sesame oil while mixing with rice.