This rice is delicious and aromatic, used to offer as neivethiyam to Lord Venkateswara during the Tamil month of Puratasi.
Ingredients for 4 adults
- Rice 2 cups - ( no basmati rice)
- Sesame seeds black - 5 to 6 teaspoons
- Dry red chillies - 4 to 5
- Asafoetida - a small piece ( or 1/4 teaspoon powder)
- Chana dal (Bengal gram)- 1 table spoon
- Gingelly Oil - 1/2 cup
- In a large pan / kadai dry roast the sesame seeds turning them so that they do not get over roasted and turns black. This will produce a nice nutty aroma. remove from heat and set aside.
- In the same pan, add a spoon of oil and add the chana dal, red chillies and the asafoetida.Roast till the dall turns golden brown.
- Powder the above along with the sesame seeds and salt in your mixie / blender , a little coarsely
- While this is getting ready, cook the rice.
- In a deep vessel or a big plate, pour the cooked rice.
- Add the now ready powder and mix it with the rice thoroughly using the oil till all the white rice are completely covered.
- Add a few curry leaves
- Add some more oil if needed.
- Use your fingers to mix the rice thoroughly if required.
This powder can be stored for several weeks similar to 'Paruppu podi' and can be mixed with rice whenever required along with a spoon of oil.