Kothavarangai Poricha Kootu
கொத்தவரங்காய் பொறிச்ச கூட்டு
- Cluster Beans or Guar (hindi) ( kotavarai in Tamil) 1/2 kilograms
- Toor Dal cooked 1/2 to 1 cup
- Urad dal 2 teaspoon
- Grated coconut 2 teaspoon
- Tomato 1
- Red Chilli 4
- Hing a pinch
- Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
- Curry Leaves a few
- Salt to taste
- Boil the cluster beans in a kadai with closed lid. ( do not boil for long that the vegetable becomes soft)
- Using a few drops of oil and roast the urad dal,chilli, and tomato till the dal turns to golden brown.
- Grind the above along with coconut.
- In a suitable vessel add this mixture to the boiled cluster beans.
- Add dal, dal water and cook till the raw smell of the ground dal and the chilli disappears.
- Season with mustard seeds and serve hot.
You can use the same procedure for preparing poricha kootu using 'Pudalangai' ( snake gourd ), 'Avarakkai' ( flat beans. But do not use tomato for these two.