Medhu Pakodas (soft pakoras) is a great snack for the evening and is best enjoyed piping hot during the rainy times!
- Besan flour 2 cups
- Rice flour - 1 cup
- Ginger - small piece
- Green chillies - 10 -12
- Cashew pieces (optional)- 1/4 cup
- Cooking soda - 1/4 teaspoon
- Curry leaves a few
- Coriander leaves - a few
- Onion - 1 or 2
- Ghee - 1 tablespoon
- Cooking oil for deep frying
- Hing - a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Cut the onion into small thin pieces. Cut the green chillies,ginger and the curry leaves and put these into a bowl.
- Pour the ghee,add salt,baking soda,hing powder and mix thoroughly for 5 minutes.
- Add the besan flour and the rice flour and the cashew pieces.
- The dough should not be too dry or too soggy. You should be able to make small balls (golf ball size).
- Make as many balls as you can with the dough.
- In a deep frying pan pour the oil and wait till it hots up.
- Drop the balls into the oil one by one till the pan is not too crowded
- Remove once the pakodas turn golden brown and outer shell appears crispy
Tastes great with coconut chutney or tomato sauce or just plain.