Angaya Podi - அங்காய பொடி
Angaya podi is a traditional home made podi (powder) with all ayurvedic goodness which is given to new mothers post-delivery. It is also good for people suffering from flu,cold and cough. It is a great appetiser too and improves digestion and cures nausea and flatulence
It has five main ingredients hence called Iyngaya (five ingredients) podi.
- Pepper - 1/4 cup
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 cup
- Coriander seeds (optional)- 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves - 1 cup (dry leaves are also good)
- Dry ginger powder (Chukku) - 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida powder 1/2 teaspoon or a small piece
- Sundakkai vathal - 1 cup
- Dry neem flowers ( Veppam poo) - 1 cup
- Dry red chillies - 4
- Manathakali vathal -1 cup
- Salt as required
- In a dry kadai, dry roast the neem flower till they turn golden brown. Keep aside
- Dry roast the asafoetida (hing) and keep aside.
- Dry roast rest of the ingredients till they turn golden brown.
- Put all these together in a dry mixie container ( blender) along with the salt and grind to a powdery consistency
- Mix with hot rice with a drop of ghee or a spoon of Gingelly oil (nalla ennai). Good for those convalescing from flu or cold