Raw to half ripe tomatoes tastes better if made into a kootu.
- Half ripe tomatoes - 7 -8
- Coconut - 1 table spoon
- Toor dal 1/4 cup
- Jeera - 1 teaspoon
- Green chillies - 4
- Channa dal ( kadalai paruppu) - 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves - a few
- Coriander leaves - a few
- Oil -1 teaspoons
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Clean the toor dal and put it in the cooker vessel.
- Add 1 cup of water.Pressure cook for 20 minutes ( till the dal becomes soft and mash able). Keep aside.
- Grind the coconut, green chillies and jeera to a fine paste sprinkling water.Keep aside.
- In a kadai or thick bottomed vessel add 1/2 cup of water. Put in the channa dals first. Then add turmeric powder and the cut tomato pieces.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the ground paste and the cooked dal. Mix well.
- Cook for a few more minutes till the raw smell of the coconut - chilli paste disappears.
- Using one teaspoon of oil in a skillet ( kadai) put in the mustard seeds. Wait till they splutter.
- Pour this to the cooked kootu. Add the curry leaves, Coriander leaves.
This goes well with plain rice or just as an accompaniment.