Ingredients for 4 adults
- Basmati rice 2 cups
- Water 4 1/2 cups.
- Onion 1
- Carrot 2
- Beans 10
- Cabbage - 1/2 cup finely chopped
- Potato 1
- Garlic - five cloves - finely chopped
- Bay leaves - 1
- Cloves - 2 or 3 pieces
- Cinnamon 1 small piece or 1/4 teaspoon powder
- Cardamom 1
- Ginger Garlic paste 2 teaspoons
- Garam Masala powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Chilli powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil 2 tablespoons
- Cut all the vegetables into small pieces.
- Using a mortar, powder the cardamom, clove.
- Soak rice for 5 minutes
- In a non stick pan / kadai or a skillet pour the oil saute the bay leaf, ground cardamom-clove powder.
- Add onion and garlic and fry till onion turns golden brown.
- Add garlic paste, garam masala and chilli powder and saute for a few minutes.
- Add the vegetables and saute. Add salt.
- Drain water thoroughly from the soaked rice and pour it over the sauted vegetable mix.
- Using a ladle, mix the rice, the vegetables and masala thoroughly.
- Add the 4 and 1/2 cups of water.
- Transfer the whole thing to the rice cooker and set it to cook.
- This should be done in 20 to 30 minutes.
- Once it is cooked, stir the cooked rice thoroughly once more and this is now to ready to serve.
Use onion-curd raitha or any vegetable kurma or just chips.