Red Cabbage Kari / poriyal
Red cabbage is just another variety of cabbage that you normally get. However this is very rich in vitamins such as A and C, contains more antioxidants than its white cousin.
On cooking, red cabbage will normally turn blue. To retain the red color you may add a few drops of lime juice, but this may spoil the taste.
- A medium sized Red Cabbage
- Fresh or frozen peas 1cup (optional)
- Green chillies 1 -2
- Mustard seeds, one teaspoon
- Oil – two teaspoons
- A few curry leaves
- Coriander - a few leaves
- Grated coconut 1/4 cup (optional)
- Cut the cabbage into thin slivers of an inch or so. Cut the chillies into long slender pieces.
- Pour oil in a pan or kadai and put the mustard seeds wait till the mustard splutters. Add the curry leaves and saute for a minute. Add the cut cabbage, peas and a teaspoon of salt and saute. Sprinkle a little water and keep the pan closed lightly. The cabbage will start cooking in the steam coming out of the sprinkled water. Keep turning them occasionally so as not to blacken them.
- Grated coconut can be added at this stage if desired.