This is an important offering to Lord Ganesha and this can also be very easily prepared as a sweet snack. Aval is low in carbs and jaggery has good iron content.
- Aval preferrably flat variety (flattened rice flake) - 1 cup
- Jaggery (powdered) 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder - 2 teaspoons or mashed seeds of two cardamoms
- Grated coconut 1/2 cup
- Cashew broken 1 teaspoon
- Ghee 1 and 1/2 table spoon
- Soak the aval for ten minutes to make the aval soft.
- Drain completely.
- In 1/2 cup of water, add the jaggery and set it aside to dissolve into a thick syrup.
- In a pan, heat this jaggery syrup.
- Once the jaggery syrup starts to thicken, add the coconut, cardamom and the softened aval.
- Stir continuosly for 5 minutes or till the aval is completely coated with the jaggery syrup.Remove from heat.
- Melt the ghee in a small pan, roast the cashew pieces until golden brown.
- Mix this with the aval.
Using a strainer, strain the jaggery syrup to remove dusts and debris.