Ingredients: ( for six members)
- Toor dal 2 cups
- Channa dal ( kadalai paruppu) 1 cup
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- Dry red chillies - 4 to 5
- Green chillies - 4-5
- Ginger - a small piece
- A few curry leaves
- Salt - 2 teaspoon or to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Soak the toor dal and the channa dal and the red chillies for 30 minutes. Strain the water.
- Add the ginger piece and grind the dal. Do not add excess water. Grind sprinkling water.
- Make sure it is NOT ground to a fine paste. It should be a little coarse.
- Cut the curry leaves and the green chillies into small pieces and add hing powder to the dough.
- Pour oil in a deep frying pan.
- Once the oil is hot, take a small ball of dough and shape it flat using a smooth plastic sheet or the palm of your hand. Gently drop the shaped dough into the oil. Repeat this as much as the pan hold the vadas for deep frying.
- Once the vadas turn golden brown, carefully remove using a straining ladle ( 'kan karandi' in Tamil).
- Place them in a bowl ( you can line it with tissue paper to absorb the excess oil) and serve hot.
This goes well with coconut chutney or just plain hot.
Post a Comment