There are several ways to prepare this snack. Following is one of the ways.
Ingredients for 4 persons
- Raw Rice 2 cups
- Thoor dhal (thuvaram paruppu) - 3/4 cup
- Channa dal (kadalai paruppu) - 3/4 cup
- Urid dhall (ulutham paruppu) - 1/2 cup
- Asafoetida - 1/4 teaspoon
- Jeera - 1 teaspoon
- Red chillies - 2 to 4
- Curry leaves - a few
- Sour curd - 1 cup
- Grated coconuts - 1/2 cup (optional)
- Salt - (to taste)
- Oil for cooking
- Soak the chillies, thoor dhal, channa dal and urad dhal together in water for 2 hours
- Coarsely grind rice in a mixer grinder to rava / beach sand consistency.
- Mix this with curd in a vessel .Add salt, hing (asafoetida). Leave this for 2 hours
- Take out the soaked dhals and grind them in a grinder coarsely along with the chillies.Mix this with the rice mixture
- Add jeera, curry leaves and mix thoroughly
- Heat a pan, add oil. When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and when the mustard seeds starts to sputter add the batter and the grated coconut and mix well in a low flame to make the batter to a thick consistency.
- Take a thick pan (kadaai) and heat it in low flame
- Add a teaspoon oil.Take small quantity of flour and press it in the middle to make patties like a vadai
- in the heated kadai place 5-6 patties and add oil and cover with a lid in a low flame
- Heat for 3 to 4 minutes
- Using a spatula, turn the half formed adais to heat the other sides. Add a little more oil.
- Cover the pan and heat for 3 to 4 minutes
Always cook in low flame.
Serve hot with coconut chutney