If you have bread loaves that are likely to turn stale, you need not throw them away. The following is a simple and very delicious recipe.
- Bread slices - 10 to 12
- Onion large 1
- Green peas ( optional) 1/2 cup
- Urad dal 1 teaspoon
- Channa dal 1 teaspoon
- Mustard 1 teaspoon
- Green chillies 2-3
- Tomato 1 - cut into small pieces (optional)
- Coriander leaves - a few
- Curry leaves- a few
- Oil - 2 to 3 teaspoons
- Salt to taste
Cut the bread slices into small cubes.Keep this aside.
- In a tava pour one teaspoon of oil and add the mustards. After it splutters add the channa dal and urad dal. add the finely cut onions and fry till golden brown.Add the green chillies.
- Add the diced bread pieces.Add salt
- Keep turning. Add the curry leaves (optionally the green peas).
- Add two spoons of oil and keep turning. Add tomato pieces at this stage.The upma should be done in 10 minutes.