Bhajjis are favorite any time snack all over India .The traditional bhajjis are made from potatoes, onions, green plantain (வாழக்காய் ) and brnjals ( egg plant). Green chillies' bhajis are hot and favorite in Andhra Pradesh.Variations include bell peppers,pineapple even apple. It is also very easy to make.
Ingredients: ( for four members)
- Besan flour (கடலை மாவு ) - 3 cups
- Rice flour - 1 cup
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- Ajwain ( ஓமம் ) - half a teaspoon ( optional - North Indians use this )
- Red chilli powder
- Salt - 2 teaspoon or to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Sliced vegetables from Potato,Onion, green plantain,Brinjal ( one each or as desired)
- Select your favorite vegetables from the above.
- Cut them into medium to thin slices. ( too thick a slice will take longer to cook)
- In a big bowl add the gram flour and rice flour along with salt,chilli powder,hing and ajwain ( if required)
- The batter should stick to the slice evenly.
- Pour oil in a deep frying pan.
- Once the oil is hot, take the vegetable slices one at a time, dip and coat the slice thoroughly and gently slide them into the hot oil. Repeat this as much as the pan can hold the bhajjis for deep frying.
- Once the bhajjis turn golden brown, carefully remove using a straining ladle ( 'kan karandi' in Tamil).
- Place them in a bowl ( you can line it with tissue paper to absorb the excess oil) and serve hot.
This goes well with coconut chutney, tomato sauce or just plain hot.