Ingredients to make 10- 12 adais
- Rice Flour 1 cup
- Cow peas ( red karamani) - 2 table spoons
- Thin slivers of coconut pieces – 1 table spoon
- Green chillies - 4 to 5 cut into small pieces
- Cooking oil - 1 table spoons
- Urad dal and mustard seeds - 1 tea spoon each.
- A few curry leaves
- A pinch of hing.
- Wash and soak 1 cup of raw rice in water for 1 to 2 hours. Drain water and dry the soaked rice in a clean cloth or a paper under shade.Once the moisture is removed completely,dry grind it to a fine powder, . Roast it in a frying pan till a nice fragrance comes out of it. Keep aside.
- Soak the karamani in water for about 2 hours before cooking them.
- Cook the karamani and keep it aside.
1. Heat the oil in a pan / kadai and add mustard seeds and urad dal. Aftter it splutters add the cooked cow peas. Add the chilli pieces.
2. Pour 2 cups of water. Add salt to taste. Add the curry leaves. Add a pinch of hing powder.
3. Add the rice flour a little by little and very slowly turning the dough with a ladle.
4. This should be cooked in 20 minutes. The dough will start rolling into a ball losing its stickiness.
5. Remove from fire and let it cool.
6.Take a small chunk and flatten it on a greased banana leaf and pierce a hole in the middle with your index finger.
7. After making sufficient adais, steam cook as you cook idlis.
Serve hot with butter.