Boli - போளி
- Maida flour– 3 cups
- Channa dal ( கடலை பருப்பு ) – 2 cup
- Jaggery (powdered) – 2 cups
- Grated Coconot – 1 cup
- Cardamon powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
- Cooking Oil – 1 cup
- Ghee – as required
- Take the maida flour and adding ½ cup oil ,water, a pinch of salt, turmeric powder knead the flour to a loose rubbery like consistency ( not as thick as roti dough).
- Add rest of the oil and keep aside to soak for 2 hrs.
- Cook the dal in cooker for 20 minutes with sufficient water.
- Grind it fine.
- In 1/2 cup of water, add the jaggery and set it aside to dissolve into a thick syrup.
Using a strainer, strain the jaggery syrup to remove dusts and debris.
- Poornam ( stuffing): In a pan, heat this jaggery syrup.Once the jaggery syrup starts to thicken, add the ground dal cardamon powder and coconut. Keep stirring till it loses all its moisture and starts to thicken. This is called the poornam ( stuffing)
- In an oiled banana leaf ( or a butter paper - no plastic or Ziplock as this might stick to your tawa ) put a ball size of dough, flatten with your fingers, put a small ball of poornam and cover it with the flattened dough. This should be easy as the dough is now very elastic and rubbery.
- Once the ball of poornam is covered with the dough, like an outer skin, gently flatten this with your fingers.
- Put it on tawa along with the leaf (butter paper) very carefully.Gently remove the leaf ( butter paper)
- Cook in a medium flame like a roti using a spoon of ghee till the outer yellow color dough turns to golden brown.
- Repeat from step 5.
- Serve hot with ghee.