Pudalangai Poricha Kootu
புடலங்காய் பொரிச்ச கூட்டு
- Pudalangai ( Snake gourd) - 3-4 ( if small variety or 1 if long variety)
- Toor Dal cooked 1/2 to 1 cup
- Urad dal 2 teaspoon
- Grated coconut 2 teaspoon
- Red Chilli 4
- Hing a pinch
- Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
- Curry Leaves a few
- Salt to taste
- Cut the pudal into small pieces. ( Slit the vegetable vertically into 4 pieces and cut them into even pieces)
- Boil the cut pudalangai in a kadai with closed lid. ( do not boil for long that the vegetable becomes soft)
- Using a few drops of oil and roast the urad dal,chilli till the dal turns to golden brown.
- Grind the above along with coconut.
- In a suitable vessel add this mixture to the boiled pudalangai.
- Add dal, dal water and cook till the raw smell of the ground dal and the chilli disappears.
- Season with mustard seeds and serve hot.
You can use the same procedure for preparing poricha kootu using 'Kothavarankai' ( cluster beans), 'Avarakkai' ( flat beans). But use one tomato for the kothavarangai poricha kootu.