Jeera - Toor Dal rasam
ஜீரா- துவரம் பருப்பு ரசம்
A very healthy and very easy to make rasam suitable during cold weather and for people suffering from cold, flu, loss of appetite or for people convalescing from flu or fever.
Ingredients for 4 adults
- Jeera 1 and 1/2 teaspoons
- Toor dal 1 teaspoon
- Tamarind -lemon size or Tamarind paste 3/4 to 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves - a few
- Coriander leaves - a few
- Tomato 1
- Oil or ghee - one teaspoon for seasoning
- Salt to taste
- Dissolve the tamarind in 2 and 1/2 cups of water and keep it aside. ( if you are using raw tamarind, dissolve using warm water, mash it with your fingers and filter to remove the debris and fibres)
- Soak jeera, toor dal and red chillies in water for 1/2 hour.
- Grind the above along with curry leaves.
- In a suitable vessel pour the tamarind water.Add jeera-toor dal paste, salt.
- Cut the tomato into small pieces and add them into the above tamarind water.
- Cook in a low flame till the raw smell of the jeera disappears and add one more cup of water.
- Pour a teaspoon of oil or ghee in a small skillet ( kadai, or an iron ladle specific for this purpose). Put the mustard seeds and a pinch of jeera. Wait till they splutter. Pour it over the rasam..
- You can now add some more coriander leaves at this stage.
This is best consumed hot accompanied by dry roasted appalams / papads.