உளுத்தம் பூர்ண கொழுக்கட்டை
Ingredients for 2 to 4 persons
Raw rice - 2 cups ( avoid basmati variety)
Urad dal – 1 cup (200 gms)
Red chillies – 6-8
Oil – 2 to 3 teaspoons
Turmeric powder 1 tsp
Salt 1 teaspoon
Hing powder 1/2 teaspoon or a small piece of hing
Pre-preparation for the outer shell
Soak 2 cups of raw rice in 4 cups of water for 2 hours. Use this water for grinding this to a liquid consistency ( like thick milk). Keep aside
1. Soak the urad dal for 2 hours.
2. Drain the water completely.
3. Grind the soaked dal along with red chillies,green chillies and salt.
4. Steam cook the ground dal ( like you cook idlis) for twenty minutes.
5. Then grind or (crush using your fingers) the cooked paste for a few minutes till it becomes loose to a powdery state.
6. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan and add and mustard, and saute till the mustard splutters. Add the powdered poornam , hing powder, mix well for a few minutes.
In a non stick pan, pour the rice paste, Keep stirring till it rolls into a thick dough like consistency and the color changes from white to translucent white. It should not be sticky to your fingers.
Grease your palms, roll it into small ball.
Start flattening it from the outer periphery slowly rotating and flattening the ball.
This will take the form of a cup. Try to elongate by pulling on the sides so that it will take an elliptical shape.
Place a spoon of poornam inside the elliptical cup. Close it so that it resembles an oyster shell shape.
Steam these in an idly cooker.