Ingredients for 4 adults
- Raw rice or Basmati rice 2 cups
- Tomato - large 2
- Onion - Large 1
- Garlic - one clove (optional)
- Red Chilli Powder 1 teaspoon
- Mustard 1 teaspoon
- Channa Dal 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves
- Cheese slices 2 - shred into thin ribbons
Pre-Preparation: (easy and common method)
- Prepare rice using 4 cups of water to 2 cups of rice in a rice cooker.( if you are using pressure cooker see to that the rice is not over cooked)
- Pour the rice in a big vessel and using salad spoon or a fork and sift the rice so that each cooked grain stands alone without sticking to each other.
- Cut the onion,garlic(optional) and tomato into small pieces.
- Add a spoon of oil and put the channa dal and the mustard seeds. After the mustard seeds splutters add the cut tomato, onion pieces and garlic along with chilli powder. Add the curry leaves and salt. Saute well.
- Once the tomato and the onion are well done remove from heat.
- Pour the cooked rice into the above mix. Mix carefully without mashing the rice.
- Garnish with cheese strips if required.
- Serve hot with vadaams or chips or papads.