- Rice 2 cups
- Urad Dal 1/4 cup
- Very small pieces of peanuts 2 teaspoons or
- Chana dal (kadalai paruppu) 2 teaspoons
- Chilli powder 2 teaspoons
- Hing - a pinch
- Unsalted Butter or ghee 50 -100 gms (to taste)
- Oil for kneading the dough - 2 teaspoons
- Salt 2 teaspoons
- Soaked riced should be dried and dry roasted in a tava till you can smell the nice aroma.Grind using your mixie to make 2 cups of flour.Sift using a fine sieve. Set this aside.
- Dry roast the urad dal in a tava. (till it just changes to golden brown) . Remove from the heat,grind and sift using a fine sieve. Set this aside.
- Bring the butter to room temperature and mix the flours along with butter, peanuts, chilli powder salt and the hing powder. Heat the two teaspoons of oil, pour it over the dough mixture. Knead thoroughly.
1. Take a small chunk of the dough.On a greased plastic cover, pat the dough into thin patties
2. Deep fry the patties into the hot oil fry turning them constantly. Fry till it turns to golden brown to just reddish brown.
3. Remove from oil and drop them onto a container lined with paper towel.( to absorb excess oil.)
Start deep frying them as soon as the dough is ready. If you leave it to stand, the end product may turn reddish while frying..
These preparations can be mastered only through experience.