Seedai - சீடை
- Rice 2 cups
- Urad Dal 1/4 cup
- Grated coconut 2 table spoon (optional)
- Jeera or dry roasted white sesame seeds 1 table spoon
- Hing - a pinch
- Unsalted Butter 50 gms or one table spoon
- Salt 2 teaspoons
- Soaked riced should be dried and dry roasted in a tava till you can smell the nice aroma.Grind using your mixie to make 2 cups of flour.Sift using a fine sieve. Set this aside.
- Dry roast the urad dal in a tava. (till it just changes to golden brown) . Remove from the heat,grind and sift using a fine sieve. Set this aside.
- Bring the butter to room temperature and mix the flours along with butter, jeera ( dry roasted sesame seeds),coconut,salt and the hing powder. Knead thoroughly.
1. In the same tava dry toast the sesame seeds for a minute Set this aside.
2. Take a small chunk of the dough and using a greased palm, roll it out into very small marble size balls onto a clean cloth or a paper towel. ( Roll the ball very gently without applying pressure.)
3. Deep fry the rolled balls (seedai) a few at a time turning them constantly. Fry till it just turns to golden brown.
4. Remove from oil and drop them onto a container lined with paper towel.( to absorb excess oil.)
The seedai may some times splutter and jump around in the oil. Please be cautious while frying the first round.
These preparations can be mastered only through experience.