Paruppu payasam ( பாசிபருப்பு பாயசம் )
Paruppu vella payasam ( பாசிபருப்பு பாயசம் ) is not only easy to make but this will also traditionally satisfy many festive occasions.
Ingredients ( for 4 to 6 persons)
- Payatham paruppu ( split moong dal) 1 cup
- Jaggery 1/2 cup ( crushed to pieces )
- Boiled Milk 1 cup
- Broken Cashew nuts( a few) - roast these in a spoon of ghee.
- Cardamom (elakkai) powder 1/4 tsp or a few pods
- In a cup of boiling water add the jaggery. Filter the jaggery syrup to remove the dust and debris.
- Roast the dal in a dry pan (kadai)for a few minutes. Add two cups of water.
- When the dal becomes cooked and start to dissolve add the jaggery syrup. Add the cardamom powder and the roasted cashews.
- Remove from heat. Once it cools down add the milk and stir for thoroughly.
This can be consumed either hot or chilled. Both taste good.
This payasam is very good for people who are suffering from mouth ulcers and those who are anemic. The dal has a high content of protein and the jaggery contains iron.