Mochai Sambhar மொச்சை சாம்பார்
Ingredients for 4 adults
- Toor dal 1 small cup ( 100 gms) Note: The more the dal the thicker the sambhar
- Tamarind -lemon size or Tamarind paste 1 to 1and 1/2 teaspoons
- Sambhar powder* - 3 tea spoons ( or more depending on your taste)
- Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds 1/2 teaspoon ( optional but recommended)
- Curry leaves - a few
- Coriander leaves - a few
- Oil - two teaspoons
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Hing a small piece or powder 1/4 teaspoon ( two pinches).
- Fresh mochai ( 1 cup) to be soaked in water a few hours before preparation (or)
- If fresh mochai is not available you can use dried Mochai or dried double beans ( 1 cup) - these are to be soaked in water for at least 12 hours before preparation
- Dissolve the tamarind in 1 and 1/2 cups of water and keep it aside. ( if you are using raw tamarind, dissolve using warm water, mash it with your fingers and filter to remove the debris and fibres)
- Clean the toor dal and put it in the cooker vessel.
- Add 2 cups of water and add the turmeric powder.
- In another vessel put the mochai with sufficient water.
- Pressure cook both the dal and the mochai for 20 minutes ( till the dal becomes soft and mash able)
- Pour two teaspoons of oil in a skillet ( kadai). Put the mustard seeds. Wait till they splutter. Add the fenugreek seeds,hing and the cut vegetables.
- Saute the vegeatbles. Add the sambhar powder and saute for a minute.
- Pour the tamarind water.Add salt. Let this boil for 10 minutes till the raw aroma of the sambhar powder disappears.
- Take out the dal, mash the dal with a hand churner or a thick spoon and pour this dal water into the boiling sambhar.
- Add the curry leaves, Coriander leaves.
- Cook in a low flame till the smell of the dal disappears and you see the sambhar boiling with bunbbles in them.
- For more flavor you can add some more curry leaves at this stage.