Mullu Thenkuzhal - முள்ளு தேன்குழல்
- Raw rice flour- 2 cups
- Moong dal ( Pasi paruppu) - 3/4 cups
- Channa dal (kadalai paruppu)- 1/4 cup
- Butter or ghee 1/4 cup
- Jeera - 1 and 1/2 teaspoons
- Sesame seeds - 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Hing powder - a small pinch (optional)
- Oil to deep fry
- Dry roast the moong dal and the channa dal for a few minutes before they turn golden brown.
- Grind the dals to a fine powder and sieve to remove the coarse remains. Keep aside.
- Sieve the rice flour and keep aside.
- Mix 2 cups rice flour and 1 cup dal flour ( as ground above) along with the ghee or butter using 1/4 cup water.( ADD WATER CAREFULLY TO AVOID THE DOUGH BECOMING WATERY). Add salt, jeera (optionally sesame seeds, hing powder) and knead the dough.
- Take a small chunk of the dough and stuff into the a 'nazhi' (with appropriate star shaped holes plate), gently squeeze into the hot oil turning your hands simultaneously in a small circle. Press it until a sufficient amount has dropped into the oil and break off the rest of the dough from dropping Repeat till the oil is not over crowded with the squeezed in thenkuzhals.
- Deep fry turning them constantly. Fry till it just turns to golden brown.
- Remove from oil and drop them onto a container lined with paper towel.( to absorb excess oil.)
Start deep frying them as soon as the dough is ready. If you leave it to stand, the end product may turn reddish while frying..
These preparations can be mastered only through experience.